Re: Wiki user guide

--- karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:

> Well, the way I envision it, it shouldn't be much
> work at all (except
> perhaps for me, at the beginning) : I thought I
> would write a Python
> script (oh beautiful Python !) that could pull the
> docs from CVS to the
> wiki.

Ah!... That makes it sound a lot better! I had thought
you meant all by hand.

But... there's a Summer of Coder currently working on
creating library.gnome.org, and he seems to be looking
at wiki-editing of DocBook too.

Is it worth your while working on python scripts that
we might only be using for a short time? (I'm being
optimistic, I know...)

> To start the ball rolling, we make a file with a
> list of documentation
> with cvs addresses, this will be the only thing
> needed to be maintained,

That would be useful to have anyway.
I made a start here:

http://live.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/CvsModules

> Well, this seems somewhat similar to what we had
> already : an index that
> writers would add the content to, except that
> currently we don't have
> the actual index, but a new index that represents
> how things should be
> after reorganisation (at least that is the theory, I
> suppose).

Yeah...
the Desktop User Guide is such a monster of a thing
that it hurts my head to think of having two copies of
it on the wiki AND cvs.
(An aside to Shaun if he reads this: Project Mallard!
we need to dice the monster up into topic-sized
chunks!)

But it looks like it could work VERY nicely with
something small like the games manuals.

> Another problem with the wiki, whatever system we
> use, was that the
> style of what people were writing was totally
> inappropriate for use in
> docs. Perhaps we should insist more on the style
> guide, or even resume
> it for the wiki.

The style guide itself needs work.
Or Join page point people towards it, and I've
specifically linked to the section on writing style
and tone. One advantage of using the wiki is that we
can see what people contribute, edit it if it's not
quite the right tone, and they'll pick up when they
see our corrections.

Yahoo! Photos ? NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com