Re: Documentation for next cycle

--- Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net> wrote:

> Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> > Are developers supposed to let us know once major
> UI
> > changes have been committed?
> >

> There is no process that I am aware of regarding
> major UI changes,
> except during UI Freeze.  I would welcome any
> discussion regarding this.
> The trick is to integrate this with the release
> process so that there is
> not that much extra time/resources spent by the
> developer, otherwise
> nobody is going to do it.
>
> Right now most projects have detailed ChangeLogs and
> the NEWS file is
> little more than a summary of those changes.

As Shaun once pointed out, an awful lot of that is of
no interest to docs: bugs fixed, code improvements,
and so on.

> Maybe
> a team to review
> NEWS files and summarize important changes to the
> documentation team
> every point release.

I wasn't thinking of anything so organized.
It would be enough just for a developer to email this
list and say, for example:
"Hi docs list! I've just committed changes to the
Nautilus file permissions in the file preferences
dialog. Screenshots on my blog here -- "

I don't think we need a formal system -- just a change
in culture.