Re: Translator credits in docs - HOW to do it

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 13:04 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> (this is more of a question for gnome-doc-devel-list)
>
> Yesterday at 15:14, ash contact bg wrote:
>
> > 4. This obviously does not apply to the credits for translations of docs, for
> > there is a special syntax:
> > NAME <EMAIL>, YEAR1, YEAR2.
> >
> > I would believe that the syntax is more lax, something like the following regexp:
> > ([^<, ]+ )*[^< ]+ <[^>]+>,( \d\d\d\d,)* \d\d\d\d.
> > Then:
> >  * Either it is included in a CDATA section
> >  * Or it is included and then there is a (?XSLT?) transformation turning this
> > into valid XML
>
> Inspect xml2po/modes/docbook.py for details ;)
>
> > In the Bulgarian Gnome translation team we have standartized on the following
> > way of writing the credits:

> > Translatorname In Bulgarian <e-mail server com>
> >
> > The Bulgarian Gnome translation project needs your help.
> > Learn more about us here http://gnome.cult.bg
> > Report bugs here http://gnome.cult.bg/bugs
> >

> > Could I write the translation credits in such a way? I could include the years
> > of translation if necessary, but we would like to give the links to our site and
> > the bug tracking database we use.
>
> Not at this time.  Currently, xml2po DocBook mode only creates a
> simple <copyright> section inside <articleinfo> including <year> and
> <holder> data.
>
> I plan to add authorgroup/author role="translator" support, but that
> is going to be orthogonal to whatever the PO message syntax is now
> (i.e. it will likely stay the same as now).
>

> If Shaun can give any idea on what would be the desired DocBook output
> for translator credits, I'd be willing to support (and enforce ;) it
> in xml2po.

The preferred markup in most DocBook circles is othercredit
with role="translator".  Support for this has been in my XSLT
since the beginning.  Here's the selector:

<xsl:variable name="translators" select="
    $info/corpcredit[ role = 'translator']               |
    $info/othercredit[ role = 'translator']              |
    $info/authorgroup/corpcredit[ role = 'translator']   |
    $info/authorgroup/othercredit[ role = 'translator']  "/>

There's not really much in DocBook to put in a plea for help
with the credits.  Credits in DocBook are purely informational
markup, not presentational.  We may be able to shoehorn that
sort of thing into the personblurb element with the credit.
The default formatting for personblurb should be sufficient.

--
Shaun