What's down, doc? Standartize - standartize ...

Hi guys,

This will certainly wait for the months after the March release and subversion migration but I *do* think that we should all press to get the structure for the documentation of packages heavily standardized. The maintenance of translation of documentation is several times more time intensive for me to do than maintenance of interface translations.

1. We have po* subdirectories to hold the translations. We should expect the help to always be in help*

2. The way a new language is included should be standard. I generally could live with the configure.in/configure.ac dichotomy, but today I had to include the translation of gcalctool - writing Makefiles.am is not the translators task.

3. I do believe that the xml2po translation has begun, but we should have it finished in all modules. Making xml2po is one thing, but then re-merging the po to xml becomes tasking and error prone (at least for me).

4. We have got to have a way easily to check the validity of translation. msgfmt is fine for po-files, Emacs serves me fine there, but getting things right for the documentation is more error prone. Partial XMl conformance is difficult even for trivial cases of "partial", especially if you do things in your head.

Best regards:
al_shopov