Re: Updated Nautilus Section

--- John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
> I still have some more work to  do , such as those
> items I listed in my
> previous email, and typos and spelling checks so I
> dont mind if it is not
> committed till it is in a more finished state. I
> just wanted some feedback
> about the direction. If you commit it let me know
> and I will work off the
> cvs version.

Ok, in that case I won't commit yet.

> Ok cool. The section IDs seem to have numbers like
> naut-ID-273. The numbers
> seem confusing and make it harder to cross ref. I
> was wondering if the
> section Ids can be more descriptive like
> nauti-search-section or does
> convention say they should be numbered?

I am gradually replacing the numbered ones with more
descriptive ones, but anchors for the numbered ones
must be retained for backwards compatibility. Just
link to the numbered ones for now, even though they
are grim, and use nice names for new ones.

> I'm not sure about your change of 'File Manager
> > Scripts' to 'Extending Nautilus', since that
> section
> > is currently all about Nautilus Scripts. You're
> > thinking of writing more in there about nautilus
> > extensions, so I'd suggest the whole of the
> scripts
> > section be demoted, like this:
> > - Extending Nautilus
> > -- Nautilus Scripts
> > -- Nautilus Extensions
>
> That was my intention. I think i will describe the
> nautilus-send-to
> extension as an example.
> Also is there a convention for including web links
> in the docs? Like if I
> wanted to say that people could download addition
> scripts from http://xxx is
> this ok? Or is it more trouble than it is worth
> because the site could go
> down and reflect poorly on the docs?

It depends on the site. Something like art.gnome.org
for themes should be ok, for ex.
But whatever you do, don't make it a key part of the
docs: not everyone will be using GNOME with an
internet connection.

> > You've added quite a few screenshots.
> > <snip>

> Cool thanks for your comments. I agree that some of
> mine are particuarly
> unnecessary, like the ones showing the side pane.
> However I agree that some
> are more important (like showing how search works).
> I will remove some of
> them and any others that you are unhappy with you
> are more than welcome to
> remove!
>
> About the icons, I dont really think this is a major
> problem because
> distributors may ship there own icons at some stage
> (e.g. some may ship with
> tango before others) I think its more impressive
> that they look pretty.
> Clearlooks theme is a lot nices than the old ones!

That makes it worse, though. The average user doesn't
know about Tango or GNOME default icons. They will
just think 'Hey, these docs can't even get the Home
icon right!'

> I think either after this batch of changes is
> > committed, or after your next lot of work, we need
> > think about the order of the main sections in the
> > Nautilus docs.

> Ok I will have a look at this.

I'd rather do this myself once your changes are in.
By all means make suggestions for the order here or on
the wiki, but keep your document's order preserved --
it makes my work much easier looking at diffs.

PS. remember to hit 'reply to all', so the list gets
the email too. (It's a mistake I still make sometimes ;)

Yahoo! Photos ? NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com