Using g-d-u (was: Re: Calling all documentation writers)

On 18/02/2006, at 4:43 AM, Danilo Šegan wrote:

You've done a great job there, but I wonder one other thing: how would
you feel about porting User Guide to gnome-doc-utils build stuff? <snip>

This would mean the User Guide would be available in PO form on this page:

http://kvota.net/doc-l10n/by-modules.html

?

If so, Joachim, this is a really useful step to take, because it means you'll get a lot more translations. We're mostly used to translating in PO format, so when docs are only available in Docbook, for example, they often don't get translated. (I recently encountered a Docbook file needing translation, which defeated all the conversion filters, and which I couldn't read in any way. :( )

My translation editor (LocFactoryEditor) now handles XML, including Docbook, so does the online translation interface Pootle, but in general, open-source translators are used to PO files and will translate more if the file is available in that format.

I recently did my first doc. translation, choosing a file on that page (Bug-Buddy). It didn't occur to me to look elsewhere. ;)

We translators monitor these status pages very closely, so getting your file on the status page gets it a lot more translation attention than having it anywhere else.