Encouraging participation (was: Re: What's the plan for the user guide?

On 08/02/2006, at 5:13 AM, Shaun McCance wrote (in conclusion):

Also, I know it's become popular lately on Planet Gnome
and desktop-devel-list to be hostile and accusational,
and to call things stupid and call people names.  But I
will not have it on my list.

Thankyou, Shaun, I support this strongly.

During a discussion (on another list) of barriers to participation for new volunteers, both male and female, I received a large number of personal emails stating that hostile, accusational and belittling behaviour was extremely off-putting, and had resulted in the writer not participating on the lists and in the projects where it occurred.