Re: Role and function of the docs team

--- Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:

> I think the docs team should be notified of
> interface
> changes as they are made, preferably with
> screenshots.
> Basically, the docs list should be getting details
> of
> new features and changes throughout the cycle, not
> just during freeze.

I'm replying to myself, which is a bad habit. ;)

But here's a related post from earlier this year:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-March/msg00159.html

quote (by Shaun)

> >> Heck, if the feature (or substantial UI change or
whatever)
> >> was implemented in response to a bug, the
maintainer needn't
> >> even file a new docs bug.  He can just change the
component
> >> of the existing bug, rather than closing it.
> >>
> >> This would give the documentation team a much
better chance
> >> of documenting as we go, rather than in one lump
sum at the
> >> end of the release cycle.

I've spoken to Shaun about this on IRC yesterday, and
I agree that a change in culture would be better than
a hard rule.
Shaun, could you raise this again on the d-d-l?

As regards the wider issue of changing our cycle to 9
month instead of 6, I've had a thought:
Could we have a cycle that is 9 months long, but
repeats every 6 months? That would be a less dramatic
change, and it wouldn't impact on downstream
organizations.
What I mean is that once freeze is in effect,
developers are free to move on to early development
work for the next cycle. (I can do a timeline if I''m
not making sense...)

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html