Re: automated screenshots (was Re: more doc work, Re: completed gataxx doc)

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 19:51 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
<snip>

> How much can DogTail automate?
>
> Can everything about how a screenshot should be made
> be codified into a script? -- eg window size, document
> contents, menus, dialog boxes, pop-up elements etc?
>
> If so, then I can imagine the following scenario:
>
> The DocBook file contains a tag for the screenshot.
> This tag contains somewhere within it meta-information
> destined for DogTail.
> The documentation writer copies this to the terminal,
> dogtail opens a few windows, does its stuff, and
> shazamm!!! the screenshot has been updated based on
> the software on the writer's system. (Because the
> meta-information also says where to save the file, of
> course!)

Or, better yet...
Create a script (in gnome-doc-utils, of course.  Seems to be my
favourite place today ;) ), something like "update-screenshots".  Each
screenshot would have an associated dogtail script.  The
"update-screenshots" would run each dogtail script in turn, producing
the desired output.  Almost the same amount of work, but saves the
writers copy-pasting a series of strange commands from a file to a
terminal (where errors can creep in).

Don