Re: Changing "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

    Maintainers would be pissed if we had somebody changing strings
    in the source code behind their backs, especially strings that
    they've explicitly refused to change themselves.

If volunteer John Doe is given the responsibility to fix this sort of
problem, he would not be doing it "behind their backs".  His changes
would be as legitimate as any other changes that are made.

In order to install such changes in any given module, he would need
write access to its repository.  Module maintainers might refuse to
grant that.  But any that say "I don't want to spend time thinking
about this" would find it hard to refuse the offer, "Would you please
let John Doe do it for you?  That is his job."

So let's look for the volunteer, then ask maintainers to cooperate
with him.

      Basically, these are the hard requirements
    maintainers sign up for in being part of our release:

    1) Follow our release cycle, including freezes.
    2) Give the GTP control of your translations.
    3) Don't break API/ABI if you're in the platform.

But that surely can't be the whole list.  There must be requirements
about the sources themselves -- for instance, about licenses.  And
GNOME has rules about GNOME public relations, including use ofthe
GNOME trademarks, right?  So this is not unprecidented.