Re: Changing "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 11:51 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I am not saying you don't have my support.  What I'm saying is
>     that I'm not the silver bullet that you think I am.  Maintainers
>     will WONTFIX a "use GNU/Linux" bug just as fast with my name on
>     it as without.
>
> You surely know the situation, but you may as well do what you can
> easily do, even if it isn't 100% influential.
>
> Meanwhile, if the maintainers who deal with substantial issues in the
> code don't want to fix these problems, that obstacle is not very hard
> to work around.
>
> I am sure we can find a volunteer to do it.  We could give him write
> access to the sources, solely for the purpose of making these changes
> in comments and documentation.  It would not be necessary for this
> volunteer to know enough for real work on GNOME development.
> Maintainers watching the commit logs would verify that this volunteer
> doesn't ever change the code.

I get the feeling that doing this may upset a few people.  If someone
marks the bug as WONTFIX (or would likely mark it as WONTFIX), the
chances are that when they see someone committing the same fix directly
(without the maintainers consent), they'll revert the change and then
complain loudly.

I don't know if that would be the case, its just a guess.

Don