Re: Changing "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

--- Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> Program source, on the other hand, is under
> maintainer control.
> Gnome is a confederacy.  Maintainers have nearly
> complete control
> over their modules.  Basically, these are the hard
> requirements
> maintainers sign up for in being part of our
> release:
>
> 1) Follow our release cycle, including freezes.
> 2) Give the GTP control of your translations.
> 3) Don't break API/ABI if you're in the platform.
>
> We say things like "work with the usability folks"
> and "work with
> the documentation folks", but those things don't *de
> facto* lead
> to relinquishing any amount of control over CVS.
>
> This is just the way our community works.  Other
> communities are
> structured differently, but we are who we are.
> Power grabs will
> inevitably fail in Gnome.  We have to devise
> solutions that work
> well within our community.

Getting far off-topic, but I see many ways in which
this structure doesn't serve gnome or its users well.
We have problems with desktop-wide consistency,
adherence to the HIG, and so on.
I *want* there to be someone or some team that can
wade in and make these sorts of changes when the
maintainers won't.

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html