Re: Character Map application manual

Hi Breda,

Thank you very much for your work on the gucharmap manual. I
really appreciate it.

Please accept my apologies for not getting back to you
sooner on this. (I have to admit I was somewhat put off by
the request to “Please send me your comments by close of
business next Tuesday 3rd February,” since I do all this in
my free time.)

I understand if you don’t have time to deal with these
changes now. Just let me know and I will commit them myself.

Some comments follow.

> The Character Map application is a Unicode/ISO10646
> character map and font viewer. Unicode/ISO10646 is a coded
> character set and character set standard. The
> Unicode/ISO10646 developers intend to include in this
> character set all of the characters that are used in all
> of the written languages in the world.

I would rewrite this paragraph as follows (rationale
should be self-evident from the changes):

  The Character Map application is a Unicode character map.
  Unicode is a character set standard with the goal of
  including all of the characters that are used in all of
  the written languages in the world.

> For more information about how to run Character Map from a
> command line, see gnome-character-map(1).

gucharmap has no man page. I suspect gnome-character-map(1)
is for the old gnome-character-map. You can see the
command-line options for gucharmap with “gucharmap --help”
(or “gnome-character-map --help” if you prefer). “--font” is
the only non-standard option.

> To Change the Input Mode

This is not really relevant, and is not at all gucharmap-
specific. I would remove this section.

> 2. Enter the Unicode code point or Unicode character name
> in the Search field in the Find dialog.

The search dialog now uses a heuristic to look for
characters in a number of different ways. To keep it simple,
I would write simply

  2. Enter the search string in the Search field of the Find
  dialog.

> 2. Click Find.

The equivalent button in the Find dialog is now called
“Next”.

> To Display the First Character in the Clipboard

This functionality has been removed. I would remove this
section. (The way to jump to a character is by pasting it in
the Find dialog.)

> Choose Go->Back to navigate back through the link history.
> Choose Go->Forward to navigate forward through the link history.

This functionality has also been removed, since it was
confusing (though occasionally useful).

Noah