Re: Character Map application manual

Noah Levitt wrote:

> Hi Breda,
>
> Thank you very much for your work on the gucharmap manual. I
> really appreciate it.

Hi Noah,

you're very welcome :)

> Please accept my apologies for not getting back to you
> sooner on this. (I have to admit I was somewhat put off by
> the request to â??Please send me your comments by close of
> business next Tuesday 3rd February,â?? since I do all this in
> my free time.)

No problem :)
Apologies for scaring you, but I had several manuals to update for GNOME 2.6,
so all deadlines have been tight.
Interim deadlines such as these are usually negotiable anyway -- they just help
to focus the mind so that the reviewer doesn't forget to do the review :)

> I understand if you donâ??t have time to deal with these
> changes now. Just let me know and I will commit them myself.

No, that's fine -- I've committed the updated manual for gucharmap V1.3.0 to
CVSHEAD :)
If you'd like to make any additional changes, please let me know.

> Some comments follow.
>
> > The Character Map application is a Unicode/ISO10646
> > character map and font viewer. Unicode/ISO10646 is a coded
> > character set and character set standard. The
> > Unicode/ISO10646 developers intend to include in this
> > character set all of the characters that are used in all
> > of the written languages in the world.
>
> I would rewrite this paragraph as follows (rationale
> should be self-evident from the changes):
>
>   The Character Map application is a Unicode character map.
>   Unicode is a character set standard with the goal of
>   including all of the characters that are used in all of
>   the written languages in the world.

Done, thanks.

> > For more information about how to run Character Map from a
> > command line, see gnome-character-map(1).
>
> gucharmap has no man page. I suspect gnome-character-map(1)
> is for the old gnome-character-map. You can see the
> command-line options for gucharmap with â??gucharmap --helpâ??
> (or â??gnome-character-map --helpâ?? if you prefer). â??--fontâ?? is
> the only non-standard option.

I've removed the reference from the manual.
I wrote a man page for gucharmap for Sun, which you are very welcome to use.
I've put this man page, with several others in gnome-docu/gdp/contrib/manpages
in CVS -- gucharmap.1 is in the sman1 subdirectory.

> > To Change the Input Mode
>
> This is not really relevant, and is not at all gucharmap-
> specific. I would remove this section.

Done.

> > 2. Enter the Unicode code point or Unicode character name
> > in the Search field in the Find dialog.
>
> The search dialog now uses a heuristic to look for
> characters in a number of different ways. To keep it simple,
> I would write simply
>
>   2. Enter the search string in the Search field of the Find
>   dialog.

Done.

> > 2. Click Find.
>
> The equivalent button in the Find dialog is now called
> â??Nextâ??.

Done.

> > To Display the First Character in the Clipboard
>
> This functionality has been removed. I would remove this
> section. (The way to jump to a character is by pasting it in
> the Find dialog.)

Done.

> > Choose Go->Back to navigate back through the link history.
> > Choose Go->Forward to navigate forward through the link history.
>
> This functionality has also been removed, since it was
> confusing (though occasionally useful).

Done.

One last item: as requested by Malcolm[1], can you please update the Documented
by credit in the About box to add "Sun Microsystems"?

Thank you :)
Breda.

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2004-January/msg00055.html