Re: Updated Glade manual in /contrib.

Hi Damon,

Thanks for your response. I will implement your updates this week. I'll
probably have a question or two. When I complete the manual, I will put
this version back into CVS HEAD.

Which parts of the existing Glade FAQ do you think should be integrated
into the single manual?

Pat

Damon Chaplin wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 16:50, Patrick Costello wrote:
> > Hi Damon,
> >
> > I have put an updated version of the Glade user manual in the following
> > location:
> >
> > cvs/gnome/gnome-docu/gdp/contrib/glade
> >
> > I didn't want to put this version back to the mainstream because my
> > write-up is significantly different from the original version done by
> > Michael Vance. It might be that people prefer the original approach, so
> > before I go burning any bridges I thought I had better put this job in a
> > neutral corner for inspection first.
> >
> > So two questions:
> >
> > 1. Do you think this manual should replace the current version?
>
> Yes, I think we should replace all the old manuals with this single one.
>
> Though there is some useful info in the FAQ not covered in your doc,
> so maybe we should keep parts of that.
>
> > 2. Do you have any review comments? The application version that I have
> > access to is 2.0.0.
>
> Is there an easy way to view the XML file? I dumped it in place of the
> old one but my yelp refuses to display some sections.
>
> I like the structure of the manual, and the content in general (though I
> haven't read it in detail yet). Here's a few minor comments:
>
> About This Document
>
>    There is a strange NaN in the copyright notice. Should it be just
>    a single year?:
>
>     Copyright © 2000, 2002-NaN Michael Vance
>

> 1. Introduction
>
>    Should explain that C code generation is built in, but for other
>    languages you may require additional packages to be installed.
>    It also supports Ada code generation now.
>
>    Note that libglade is preferred over C code generation for large
>    apps.
>

> 5.3 Libglade Options
>
>   Save Translatable Strings - deprecated. use intltool instead.
>

> 6 Working With Widgets
>
>   Needs a section on widget layout with containers versus absolute
>   positioning, since most new users have problems with this at first.
>   i.e. uses boxes and tables, so windows can change size as necessary to
>   handle different size labels in different languages.
>
>   Selection mode - should explain use of the shift key when selecting
>   widgets to select parent widgets. It cycles through all parents.
>
>   Should also mention right-clicking on a widget brings up context
>   menu that allows you to perform actions on a widget and all of its
>   parent widgets, including selecting them.
>

> 6.1 To Select Widgets From the Palette Window
>
>   Should mention holding the Control key down while selecting a widget
>   in the palette. You can then add multiple widgets of that type to the
>   interface. You need to click on the arrow or another widget in the
>   palette to get back to normal mode.
>

> 6.4 To Paste a Widget
>
>   Should mention that if you cut a widget and paste it once, the widget
>   and all of its children keep their original names. But if you copy a
>   widget, or paste it multiple times, the widgets have new names
> [...]

Patrick Costello, GNOME Documentation
Phone: 		01 819 9077 [ext 19077]