Re: Potential new documentation contributor

Matthew Revell wrote:

> Hi Pat,
>
> Patrick Costello wrote:
>
> >The GNOME Documentation Style Guide (GDSG) is at the following location:
> >

> Thanks for that.
>
> Is there a document that describes Sun's relationship with the Gnome
> documentation project? I've seen a couple of emails on the list about
> it, but I've also noticed that the Gnome docs and style guide are
> copyright Sun.

The relationship of Sun with the GNOME community is exactly the same as the
relationship of any other contributor and is defined under the general
rules of free software development.

If you see "Sun Microsystems" in a copyright line on a GNOME manual, then
all that means is that Sun Microsystems is one of the contributors to the
manual. As GNOME manuals are published under the GNU Free Documentation
License (GFDL), this does not mean that the Sun copyright is an exclusive
copyright. If you update a manual that Sun did this time around, then
"Copyright 2004: Matthew Revell" will appear in the copyright list above
the Sun copyright. That's how it works. When someone within Sun does a job,
we assign the copyright to Sun, rather than the individual, as the work
that Sun employees do belongs to Sun, not to individuals.

I hope that clears up any questions you had in this regard.

Pat