Re: New Transformations in Yelp

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 21:23, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> Shaun:
> some stupid questions - I have to admit, I haven't looked at the
> stylesheets yet.
>
> 1. Are they also based on Norm Walsh's modular stylesheets?

The new stylesheets don't use Norm's stylesheets.  They're entirely
self-contained.  Of course, I was looking at Norm's stylesheets the
entire time, so plenty of things are similar.  The table code, for
instance, works in exactly the same way.

> 2. Why create new rather than fix old? (Oh, I don't doubt there are very
> good reasons - most likely you can get a huge speedup - but I'm
> curious...)

Huge speedup is right.  Up to 25x as fast for some documents.  Also, the
new stylesheets are just easier to work with and easier to maintain, for
my purposes.  Norm's stylesheets are huge and can do almost anything.
And that's great, but it just doesn't work well for Yelp.  There are
many inherant speed problems, and there are design conflicts with Yelp's
chunking needs that cause more speed problems because of the way Yelp
has to work around them.

> 3. Can you provide a link to sample output? (I expect that UG posted on
> http://www.gnome.org/~shaunm/users-guide/
> is built using these stylesheets - is this correct?)

No, that's still the old stuff.  I've just put up a new build of the
Gnumeric docs at

http://www.gnome.org/~shaunm/gnumeric/

I haven't worked the GNOME site template onto these stylesheets yet, but
it'll be very easy to do.

--
Shaun