Re: Yelp document chunking

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 17:26, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> tis 2003-05-20 klockan 22.25 skrev Shaun McCance:
>
> > Upon thinking about it, I've decided that I really like this "flat"
> > approach.  The sidebar would then be a simple list, rather than a
> > tree. This would also make it easier to present the sidebar
> > differently, which could be useful for any UI redesign that comes
> > about for bug #91610.  On a related note, I would like the toc and
> > front matter to be listed in the sidebar.
>
> The sidebar doesn't have to reflect the chunking though. I mean, you
> can have both sect1 and sect2 in the sidebar and clicking a sect2 it
> opens the sect1-chunk and scrolls to sect2, right?

Well sure.  If that worked.  So it seems we have two issues here:  how
deeply we want to chunk, and how deeply we want to nest the sidebar.

> > Then Yelp should be able to figure out that 'section3' is the relevant
> > chunk, and that 'section357' is a place to scroll to in that chunk.  If
> > we can implement the former (which really, really ought to work), then
> > the latter can be accomplished by setting up a link translation table.
>
> Currently the entire HTML document is stored in memory in Yelp and when
> you need a certain chunk you retrieve it from the document. This way I
> don't think we need a translation table.
>
> Just search for the Section section357 in the document, when found
> search backwards until you find a chunk-delimeter and then show the
> entire chunk and reposition to section357.

Yes, I suppose that would work just fine.  Of course, if all of this is
fixed in C, then no stylesheet hacks are necessary, and my "fix" for bug
#87595 should be reverted.

> > How easy this is to implement depends on how well gtkhtml supports it.
> > I don't really know gtkhtml very well, so it would take me a little
> > while even to know if I can implement this.
>
> Gtkhtml2 supports scrolling to a certain anchor if that's what you mean.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.  Yelp doesn't seem able to do it in any
useful manner, so I wasn't sure if it was a gtkhtml problem or just a
Yelp problem.  If gtkhtml supports this, then it shouldn't be difficult
to get Yelp to do it.  I'll go ahead and take a look at this tonight,
unless somebody else pipes up.

--
Shaun