Re: Yelp document chunking

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 17:39, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 17:26, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> > tis 2003-05-20 klockan 22.25 skrev Shaun McCance:
> >
> > > Upon thinking about it, I've decided that I really like this "flat"
> > > approach.  The sidebar would then be a simple list, rather than a
> > > tree. This would also make it easier to present the sidebar
> > > differently, which could be useful for any UI redesign that comes
> > > about for bug #91610.  On a related note, I would like the toc and
> > > front matter to be listed in the sidebar.
> >
> > The sidebar doesn't have to reflect the chunking though. I mean, you
> > can have both sect1 and sect2 in the sidebar and clicking a sect2 it
> > opens the sect1-chunk and scrolls to sect2, right?
>
> Well sure.  If that worked.  So it seems we have two issues here:  how
> deeply we want to chunk, and how deeply we want to nest the sidebar.

On the other hand, it should be remembered that the sidebar is not some
page where you click a link and the contents are replaced by the thing
you clicked on.  It is an always-visible sidebar showing you where you
are in the document.  Thus, it serves as more than just a collection of
links into the documents.  It serves also to show where you are in the
document.  Having the nodes in the sidebar not be isomorphic to the
chunks of the document means that the currently-selected sidebar node
isn't necessarily the portion of the document you're looking at.  I'm
not sure if this is really a big problem, but it is an issue we should
consider.

--
Shaun