Re: About translating documents (.xml/.sgml) in GNOME

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Jordi Mallach wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 02:00:14PM +0100, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
> > It's a very rare case in KDE that a document undergoes huge changes.
> > Typical changes are typos, cleanups, clarification, markup fixes and
> > adding new text. I never felt like I've lost my work done on previous
> > version of the document.
>
> Given the amount of changes in any major release of KDE or GNOME, if the
> changes are so small I'd think the documents
> - don't describe the desktop completely (so they don't really need to do
>   updates, because when something change they don't need to redocuiment
>   it as it wasn't documented before)
> - are not up to date with the new features.

In fact, the documents just settle down. Does Nautilus interface change so
much you need to restructure its documentation? Even if you do, you will
get a large part of the text reused (only minor changes will occur and
fuzzy gettext matching can handle this).

This is really about how the document is structured. If it has decent
chapters and sections, it can scale quite well IMHO. And yes, I do
maintain DocBook documentation (while it's not up-to-date ATM) as well as
translating it.

> For example, does the Konqueror documentation name Tabbed Browsing?

http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdebase/konqueror/tabbrowse.html

Your translation does not need to be up-to-date with the original. It's
translator responsibility to update the translation. All you would notice
is that your PO file contains fuzzies/untranslated entries for newly added
text.

Stanislav