Re: Patches from RedHat for GNOME stylesheets.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 07:55:05AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com> was heard to say:
> | the pressure should go, ask Norm what is stable and can be reused or
> | extended. Hoping that the distro will keep up forever a given version
> | of the stylesheets while Norms tends to make one release per week
> | fixing stuff is not realistic. Tell Norm what "entry points" you're using
> | and with a bit of coordination this can probably be made resilient
> | to updates. All this is pure classical software engineering...
>
> I'm certainly willing to help. If you tell me what your customization
> layer is using, I'll tell you how stable I think it is. And I'll try
> to avoid changes to those areas.

   thanks !!!
Alexander, John, can you look at this ?

> The HTML stylesheet API is stabilizing, I think. The FO stylesheet is
> still in a bit softer state because FO processors aren't all
> "state-of-the-art" yet and there's a bunch of workarounds in there.

  At the moment I think the concerns are mostly for HTML generation
for the on-line help. FO->PDF is still done on a case by case basis
and I think at least from our point there is less pressure to get
an API for that part,

  thanks again,

Daniel

P.S.: XSLT is a bit extreme in the sense it automatically makes all entry
      point publics. It lacks the equivalent of the C "static" :-\