Re: Patches from RedHat for GNOME stylesheets.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:04:15PM -0700, John Fleck wrote:
> > Our customization layer was based on 1.45, and it didn't work with 1.48
> > (and probably later) because Norm has changed some template names.  I
> > didn't follow recent  development - maybe this has been fixed, but we
> > definitely must test the customization stylesheet  with various versions
> > of Norm's stylesheets to make sure they work OK before making this
> > change.
> >

> As soon as we do this, we're at risk of a change in the "current"
> stylesheet breaking our customization. I don't mind bumping up from 1.45
> once the testing is done, but last time we used "current" problems
> ensued.

  Norm's XSLT stylesheets are a library. The API changed, the problem
is that its "stable" API subpart is not clearly defined. That's where
the pressure should go, ask Norm what is stable and can be reused or
extended. Hoping that the distro will keep up forever a given version
of the stylesheets while Norms tends to make one release per week
fixing stuff is not realistic. Tell Norm what "entry points" you're using
and with a bit of coordination this can probably be made resilient
to updates. All this is pure classical software engineering...

Daniel