Re: update of "Intro to GNOME"

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 21:14, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> 	Hi guys:
> I finally got to updating "Intro to GNOME" for GNOME 2.2. A preliminary
> draft is available  here:
> http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~kirillov/intro-to-gnome/
>  I'd appreciate your comments/suggestions. In particular, since I am not
> a native speaker, I'll probably never get articles (a/the) and other
> fine points of English right :( So if someone could proofread this, I'd
> really appreciate it.

Sasha -

Sorry, I couldn't find many problems with your English, only picky style
guide stuff and a few places where the interface has changed away from
the way you described it.

This is a most helpful doc. Thanks for getting it up-to-date. Comments
below.

Cheers,
John

*****************
Intro:

  Tangled again with the dreaded term "desktop". As you're using it
  here, you're likely meaning "desktop background", though that's not
  necessarily the best phrase here?

First glance:

  To available "Actions" menu, add the cool new "Open recent".

  In "Other menus", "GNOME Menu" should be "Main Menu".

  s/Application launchers/Launchers/

  s/Panel applets/Applets/

  s/Desktop/Desktop background/

  "If it is a folder (directory)" should just be "If it is a
  folder..."

  In Logging Out, s/Action menu/Actions menu/

  In same section, "when you login next time" should be "log in".

Customizing GNOME:

  Under themes, it might be good to mention that you must click
  "details" to see "controls", "window borders" and "icons" options,
  and to describe the way the unified theming embodied in the initial
  Theme Preferences dialog works.

GNOME Applications and Utilities

  Weird ")" after "Netscaple"?

  "You can also use GNOME 1.x applications under GNOME 2." Should be
  "2.2" here.

  s/GNOME Calculator/Calculator/

  s/GNOME Text Editor/Text Editor/ (gedit)

  s/GNOME Postscript Viewer/Postscript Viewer/

  Much as I like Galeon, I wouldn't include it here, since we're not
  distributing it as part of 2.2 so users may or may not have it. Same
  thing for XMMS?
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead