Re: tasks /doc

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:42:34PM +0200, samuel desseaux wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I plan to take some jobs in the GDP but before, i've some questions
>
> 1) For the updating of the GDP Handbook, does it need to reflect changes made
> only for Gnome 2.0?

The goal of the GDP Handbook is to document the technical side or
writing documentation for the GNOME project.  Most of the technical
changes were made during GNOME 2 when the GDP had some developers
working on Yelp, the stylesheets and Scrollkeeper.  Unfortunately
there has not been much progress in the documentation side between
GNOME 2 and 2.2.  Therefore most of the changes will be relvenant to
both GNOME 2 and 2.2.  I have almost completed the revision of the GDP
Handbook.  The only section left is an explanation for writers new to
GNOME about how to create a OMF file with the Scrollkeeper
modifications.  The second draft of the GDP Handbook is located at
gnome-docu/GDP/gdp-handbook in CVS.  If you have any additions to it
they will be welcome.

> 2) I w<ould like mainly to work on the creation of a DocBook document for the
> Gnome architecture and packaging developer documents

That is a good idea for a document and one subject which has not been
touched on much by us.

> > For the document, i've some knowledges in docbook. Does it necessary to do
> first a document in xml and after, convert it  in docbook?

You can write the document in plain text and someone on the list will
be glad to convert it to DocBook.  Some of the regular documentation
writers write their documents directly in DocBook while others write
it in plain text on an editor and then markup the documents in
DocBook.  These seem to be the two most common ways.

> > Where can i find the list of developer's documents?

Basically there isn't an authoriative list of developer documents.
Each package have their own developer documentation written in gtk-doc
and any revelnant documents.

Eric Baudais