Re: Desk Guide help doesn't say what it's GOOD FOR!

John -

Thanks for the feedback. We hardly get any, a treat.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:10:57AM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:
> OK, so there is a little version of my screeen sitting there.  But so what?
> If I want to do something with the windows, I can just do it on the big
> screen.  What's the point?  (Put the answer in the documentation, don't
> email it to me!)
>
> My system doesn't seem to have any of those confusing "multiple screens"
> or "viewports" or whatever the various window managers call them.  Therefore
> I think this Desk Guide thing is useless.  Somehow Red Hat 7.3 makes it
> burn up my screen space anyway.  I have no idea why.  I will remove it.
> I thought I should tell you so you could put something in the documentation
> about why this useless thing is sitting on your screen.

So if the introductory section were to include some sort of a line to this
effect - "If you only have one viewport/workspace/desktop, Desk Guide is of no
use and should be removed", would that solve the first need here?

> PS:  The detailed info about what the cryptic "Properties" boxes do was
> useful; don't remove it.  But add an overview for somebody who's never
> seen this thing before, that answers the obvious questions like "What
> use is this whole thing?"

The cryptic properties have been substantially uncrypticized in the most
recent GNOME. But yeah, some sort of explanation or reference to how to get
windows/viewports/desktops if you want more might be useful.

Thanks again,

John Fleck*

* The newspaper reporter who looks like Frank Zappa who had lunch with you at
Garduno's in Albuquerque during the Balloon Fiesta lo these many years ago,
picking your brain about your FOIA lawsuit against Sandia National Labs and
DOE.