Re: Cleaning up CVS (Entropy Foundation Telethon!)

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 03:45:34PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Eric Baudais">
>
> > In celebration of Jeff's CVS house cleaning I would like to know if
> > anyone objects to the following directories in gnome-docu/gdp/contrib be
> > deleted:
>
> Whee! :-)
>
> Are these old copies of documentation that is now elsewhere, or...? We
> shouldn't be deleting any historical artifacts.

If we are physically deleting files from CVS that do not remove a whole
directory, people are going to have to do some manual surgery on their
local CVS copies. Basically, it will involve opening up CVS/Entries and
deleting the lines that refer to the missing files. Further, if a whole
directory is removed, the same thing is going to have to be done one
layer up. This is not particularly user-friendly and I'm not sure it
saves _that_ much space to be worth it.

Probably the best plan if you really want to 'rm' those files from the
repository is to 'cvs remove' them first. Then wait a month or so and
hope that everybody is using the -P (prune empty directories) option
when they update and then remove the directory from the repository.

Malcolm