Re: Online help - status update

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 20:18, Eric Baudais wrote:
> It seems pretty easy to setup.  The only thing which could possibly go
> wrong is the interaction with mysql instead of postgres.  I don't think
> it will be an issue though.  If David thinks it is ready David and Greg
> need to get together.  Once Lampadas is running I'll be willing to
> start entering the documentation into the system and adding users.

Sounds good.

Lampadas is not ready for production, really, not as a whole. But it is to
the state where I really need it to be in use in order to identify the
remaining problems. I don't expect it to eat data, but I expect you will
have complaints/suggestions on how to improve it.

If and when those changes require database changes, we'll have to
export/reimport the data, which will be a bit of a bother but not a
serious issue.

FYI, I have a script that parses through all .omf files in the CVS tree
and populates the database as it is able. That might be helpful to you,
and save you some typing.

The biggest current issue in Lampadas is that I have a lot of trouble
generating outputs for the source files. One reason I suggest going ahead
with the installation is because I can work on that part of the system
using your real data (without any risk to the rest of the system).

Another issue is that the translation management interface is pretty weak.
I hope to get your help in making it better -- not code, just advice.

Enough rambling. I'm ready to go and looking forward to seeing this beast
at Gnome! Woo Hoo!

> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 09:20, John Fleck wrote:

> > > If you guys can give me a server to put it on, I have Lampadas to
> > > the point where it would be helpful with this sort of thing. While
> > > there are portions that are not yet ready for prime time, the
> > > meta-data management is to the point where it would very beneficial
> > > to me to get you guys using that part of it, so you can tell me
> > > where it is still falling short. And I think it is already
> > > functional enough to be of use to you in tracking stuff.
> >
> > Greg, Eric -
> >
> > What is the status of this process? We need someone with sysadmin
> > privileges (Greg?) and someone with Lampadas energy (Eric?) to get
> > this moving.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > John
> > --
> > John Fleck
> > jfleck inkstain net (h) jfleck abqjournal com (w)
> > http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com
> >
> > "Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
> >   - Zippy the Pinhead

- --
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org

In honor of the death of Bohemia an impromptu salon will
commence immediately following dinner... Mimi Marquez,
clad only in bubble wrap, will perform her famous lawn
chair-handcuff dance to the sounds of iced tea being stirred.
	-- RENT