Re: verb mode to use for undo commands

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 22:40, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> On 2 Sep 2002, Calum Benson wrote:
>
> > FWIW, on other platforms, applications that support this aren't quite so
> > helpful... they would normally go with "Undo Change Title" (i.e. just
> > state the name of the command that was used), or "Undo Title Change"
> > (i.e. mangle the name of the command so that it reads a little better).
>
> Even to me, these don't sound any English at all.

"Undo Change Title" is certainly bad English, but "Undo Title Change" is
perfectly correct.  If you change the title of something, you've made a
title change. Hence "Undo Title Change".

> Without the resource names, it becomes totally unusable, since a typical
> project can easily have 10+ resources, and even resources of different
> type share a lot of property names.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I was just pointing out why other
applications don't have this problem :)

If your application has multiple levels of undo then including the
resource name is essential, I agree.  If you have only one level of
undo, it's probably not all that important, to be honest.

> > It would probably be nicer if things like "FORM3" and "FIELD1" weren't
> > in all caps by default though, it looks kind of horrible :/
>
> I've looked at some PalmOS resource files and all-caps seems to be the
> tradition.

*shrug* I don't have any strong feelings about it, if anybody else does
I'm sure they'll add their comments :)

> > "Undo FIELD1 Editable State" maybe?  What is the label of the checkbox
> > or command that lets you change it?  Not "Editability" I hope :)
>
> Well, it's "Editable" with a Yes/No togglebutton (like Glade).

Well, "Undo FIELD1 Editable State" is stil the best generic label I can
think of.  If you can handle a different label for each state, you might
have "Undo Make FIELD1 Editable" and "Undo Make FIELD1 Read-Only" or
something, though.

Cheeri,
Calum.