Re: GNOME Documentation Style Guide V0.3 - wordlist updates

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:09:48PM +0100, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> The following changes were made to the wordlist for GDSG V0.3:
[...]
>    * Modified following terms:
>      - GNOME Desktop Terms: desktop, GNOME footprint, Window Menu

Reading this mail in isolation, it occurred to me that we are going to
have to be careful about using the word "footprint" -- it will be
important to have some context around it.

There is a difference between "GNOME footprint", the image that is all
over the place and "GNOME footprint", the amount of resources used when
running a GNOME installation (my brain leapt towards the second
definition when I first read the above). The latter usage is probably
not going to be common in user-level documentation, but it is not an
unommon usage of "footprint" at the developer level.

Probably not a big deal, since you would not want to use the resource
usage version of "footprint" in user docs anyway (it's jargon at that
level), but I just though I would mention it.

Malcolm