GNOME Documentation Style Guide V0.3 - wordlist updates
- From: "Eugene O'Connor" <eugene oconnor sun com>
- To: Pat Costello <patrickcostello eircom net>
- Cc: gnome-doc-list gnome org, gep-announce gnome org, usability gnome org
- Subject: GNOME Documentation Style Guide V0.3 - wordlist updates
- Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 22:09:48 +0100
The following changes were made to the wordlist for GDSG V0.3:
* Added new terms:
- GNOME Desktop Terms: terminal, window
- Buttons in the Desktop: window list button
- User Actions: log in (verb), log out (verb), terminate
- General Computer Terms: access keys, Back Space, bounce keys, hot
key, keyboard shortcut, keypress, login (noun, adjective), logout (noun,
adjective), mouse keys, Print Screen, repeat keys, right arrow,
spacebar, slow keys, sticky keys, toggle key
* Modified following terms:
- GNOME Desktop Terms: desktop, GNOME footprint, Window Menu
- General Computer Terms: keystroke, modifier key
* Deleted following terms:
- GNOME Desktop Terms: custom menu, menu title, menu tree pane,
special panel object, status dock, status docklet, submenu item
(corresponding functionality obsolete on all of these)
- General Computer Terms: Nautilus link (term obsolete), View as
drop-down list box (term no longer required due to View > View as menu)
* Miscellaneous edits to bring wordlist up-to-date with latest GNOME
2.0, and present examples and notes more clearly.
Any comments/suggestions welcome.
Pat, I have added this information to the GDSG ChangeLog for consistency
with previous wordlist updates.
Pat Costello wrote:
> Pat, Eugene and Irene have undertaken a major revision of the GNOME
> Documentation Style Guide. The xml files are now in CVS, and the
> finished result for GDSG V0.3 is available at the following location:
> Some of the major differences between V0.2 and V0.3:
> - Converted old sgml document into xml.
> - Converted old single file document with subsections into a proper book
> structure with chapters for easier access for multiple writers.
> - Added comments from community about V0.2.
> - Added some new sections, notably:
> Building blocks, writing for guis, accessibility, legal, units appendix
> - Updated the wordlist with quite a few new terms. As we uncovered new
> terms we defined them and put them into the wordlist. Eugene will follow
> up with a mail indicating the latest new terms.
> The contents of the GDSG are largely based on our experiences of
> documenting around 30 or so applets and applications for Help manuals,
> as well as the entire GNOME 2.0 desktop UI for the user guide. The GDSG
> should be fairly comprehensive, therefore, but there is always a
> possibility that we have left something out. Please let me know if you
> know of something else that should be covered in the style guide, or any
> other comments that you might have.
> I have sent this announcement to a wider distribution than just the
> documentation community, as the topics in the style guide are now quite
> broad, and have many linkages with different parts of the GNOME project.
> Usability mailing list
> Usability gnome org
] [Thread Prev