Re: GNOME 1.4 Accessibility Guide/ GNOME2 draft

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 07:38:55PM -0700 or thereabouts, Sharon D Snider wrote:

> Attached is a tar file containing my first draft of the GNOME2
> Accessibility Guide in xml and html. I intend to update the content as
> accessibility enhancements evolve.

I haven't read it all yet. But one suggestion:

There's a section about enabling mouse keys: using the keyboard
for the pointer.

This is very cool, but I am not sure how (or whether) it relates
to the support in XFree86 for this that's already there (in XKB,
I believe). This is something I and (I presume) various others
who use XFree86 have used for a while.

-Most- of it looks the same. Would it be possible to add a note
about whether this is the same stuff? And if it's different, how
it differs?

I have never found a nice simple guide for end-users for it in
the XFree86 distribution itself: it comes in a file called
/usr/share/doc/XFree86-doc*/XKB/XKBproto.ps(.gz) on my Linux box,
but I have always used the explanation in the README for the
WindowMaker window manager ("No, we will not add keyboard
control because X already does it: here are the keys and how
to enable them").

I don't know whether you have that, so I am cutting and pasting
the relevant bit and attaching it to the end of the message.

I imagine it's the same. But it would be nice to have a mention
of that in the document. To save my brain on a Monday morning :)

Telsa

Keyboard Mouse Control
======================

Many people ask about adding keyboard control of mouse, like in fvwm,
but Window Maker will not have such feature. The XKB extension supports
mouse simulation from the keyboard, in a much more powerfull fashion than
any simulation done by a window manager.

To enable it, hit the Control+Shift+NumLock or Shift+NumLock key combination.
You should hear the speaker beeping. To disable it, do the same thing.

To control the mouse the numeric keypad is used as follows:
- 4 (left arrow), 7 (Home), 8 (up arrow), 9 (PgUp), 6 (right arrow),
3 (PgDn), 2 (down arrow) and 1 (End) move the mouse to the corresponding
direction;
- holding one of the above keys and then holding the 5 key will move the
pointer faster;
- / will select the first mouse button (left button);
- * will select the second mouse button (middle button);
- - will select the third mouse button (right button);
- 5 will do a click with the currently selected mouse button;
- + will do a double-click with the currently selected button;
- 0 (Ins) will click and hold the currently selected button;
- . (Del) will release the currently selected button that was previously
clicked with the 0 (Ins) key.

The above key values work in a XFree86 3.2 (X11R6.1) X server but your
milleage may vary.