Re: XML API documentation

sön 2002-11-10 klockan 20.36 skrev John Fleck:
> On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 07:27, James Henstridge wrote:
> > MArk Finlay wrote:
> >
> > >would it not be really useful to have API docs in a category in yelp?
> > >

> > We have a very nice documentation browser for API documentation:
> > devhelp.  Usually you want a slightly different interface for API docs
> > than for user docs (usually makes searching easier, and the structure of
> > the "book" more explicit).  There is some support in gtk-doc for
> > producing .devhelp files, but it will need some changes to work with the
> > latest devhelp (which has changed things round a bit).
> >

> Does devhelp use ScrollKeeper? It would be cool if devhelp automaticaly
> knew what API documentation was installed, and where.

Hi!

Sorry for being so late on this thread :)

Devhelp currently doesn't use Scrollkeeper. I had some ideas of merging
Devhelp and Yelp but then I changed my mind since I think they might
want different UI's in the future.

One reason for using Scrollkeeper for Devhelp would be to have all the
documentation listed in one place. Though I'm not really sure of the
benefits of this since you don't want API docs in Yelp and you don't
want user docs in Devhelp.

For it to be really useful I think Scrollkeeper should be extended to
handle man/info/HTML/... ie. any documentation that exists on the
system. So that you can say:

GNode * scrollkeeper_get_doc_tree ();

And then:

gchar * scrollkeeper_get_document ("man1/foo.1", "HTML");

or something like that.

I currently see no real use of having the API docs in Scrollkeeper.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/