Re: intro to gnome - updating for GNOME 2?

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 15:54, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> Hi guys:
> I am thinking of whether it makes sense to update for GNOME 2
> "Introduction to GNOME" which was part of gnome-user-docs for GNOME 1.4.
> This is a nice document - but the new users guide  contains chapter
> "Overview of the Desktop" which serves similar purpose. However, this
> chapter is written in different style and contains slightly different
> information (if you have both GNOME 1.4 and GNOME 2 installed, compare
> for yourself). So what do you think - does it makes sense to update
> "Intro to GNOME" or should we discard it?
>
> Since I wrote the original "Intro to GNOME", I naturally like it  - in
> fact, I like its style more than the style of "Overview of the Desktop"
> chapter in users guide (no offense, Eugene). Of course, I am hardly
> unbiased - and  Eugene and Pat have much more experience than I do...
> So I'd like to hear what others think about it. I am ready to do the
> updating if people think it is still useful.

I agree there is some overlap, and for you to rewrite this would involve
some duplication of effort. But I see no reason not to do it anyway, if
you're willing to take the time. More points of entry for our users into
our documentation is, I think, a good thing.

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead