the next release

Folks -

First, a huge thanks to everyone who worked so hard to get the GNOME 2
docs in shape. I would especially like to than Pat, Eugene, and Irene,
who contributed so much high-quality documentation and in the process
offered a very practical demonstration that Sun has figured out how to
be a good corporate citizen in the free software world.

But hey, guys and gals, what have you done for me lately? There is no
rest for the weary.

The release team is arguing about, err, I mean discussing plans and
schedule for the 2.0.1 release. Its purpose will be to scoop up any
critical bugs that have shown up in 2.0.0, to get in fixes from the UI
review, and for us then to clean up the documentation to match. We
haven't settled on dates yet, but it will be as soon as we think we can
get away with it. We really would like to maintain the momentum and
avoid the stagnation that in the past has set in on the stable branch
after major GNOME releases.

As soon as we settle on a schedule, I will let you know.

In the meantime, I'd like to discuss a process, so we know how we're
going to tackle this problem on a tight schedule.

First, I hope we can all jump in and do a quick QA review of the docs
that were released in 2.0.0. Our crude little temporary doctable
(http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/doctable--.html) has someone
assigned to each of the main packages. Can the individuals involved take
responsibility for making a pass through the docs as released in their
package and flag any problems that exist so we can start fixing them
now? (I assume Chris and Trevor might like some help with games and
applets, respectively.)

When the release team sets up a process for the UI changes that will go
into 2.0.1, it will include some sort of formal GDP notification so we
can be sure we know what changes are going in and can make the necessary
changes.

Thanks again, all, and don't slack off now!

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead