interface tag (Was: GNOME Handbook of Writing Software Documentation rough draft)

Hi Eric,

I have a question about the use of the <interface> tag. In the Inline
Elements, GUI elements section of the GDP Handbook it says:

* <interface> - for most everything else... a window, a dialog box, the
Panel etc.

The latest version of the TDG that I have seen (V2.0.4+) says:

"An Interface identifies some part of a graphical user interface. This
element became obsolete in DocBook V3.0 with the introduction of
GUIButton, GUIIcon, GUILabel, GUIMenu, GUIMenuItem, and GUISubMenu."

I had a conversation with Norm Walsh last week - he thinks that the GUI*
elements completely replace <interface>. So it seems to me that
<interface> could be on the way to being deprecated. Are there any
interface items that are not covered by the GUI* elements?

I'll ask a question about this on the docbook mailing list and see if
they can shed any further light on this.

Eugene