Re: Shortened titles in OMFs and Yelp

I think that the longer titles came about to comply with the GFDL. In the Modifications section, point A, it says:

"Use ... a title distinct ... from those of previous versions (which should, if there were any, be listed in the History section of the Document)."

Using the version number in the title is the simplest way to create a title distinct from previous versions.

The word Manual appears in the title so that people understand that the version number applies to the manual and not to the application or applet.

I think that the word GNOME appears as a hangover from when the word GNOME appeared in either the menu that started the application or applet, or the titlebar of the application window. As such, I agree that it is unnecessary and can be removed from the document title. However, Irene is much closer to this than I am, and I would like to check this with her.

To comply with the GFDL, I think that the document titles must contain the appname, the word Manual, and the version number.

So, I do still think that we need to add some metadata to the OMF, that is, the shorttitle attribute in the title element.

And so I propose that we implement the shorttitle attribute, and in the meantime proceed with what Dan and I were discussing yesterday, that is:

<!--
    <title>
      GNOME Calculator Manual V2.0
    </title>
-->
    <title>
      Calculator
    </title>

Unlike the <comment> tag I suggested yesterday, this validates against the Scrollkeeper DTD.