Re: Shortened titles in OMFs and Yelp

On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 06:29, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
[snip

> Just ripping out GNOME and Manual will probably make some title's look
> totally b0rked. I think it has to be handled by both the OMF _and_ Yelp.
> Also, Yelp doesn't only show GNOME documents.

I agree. Never allow a program to transform  human writen text (unless
the text follows  strict rules, which titles do not) - you are going  to
get junk.

> So, the information must exist in the OMF so that it can be accessible
> from Yelp. It would be nice if the OMF could contain a <short-title/> or
> something like that.
>
> If it is found Yelp uses that instead and otherwise uses the <title/>.

This is the way LaTeX works - it has \title which allows for optional
argument:
\title[A short title (optional)]{The full title, which may be
very-very-very long}

If people do not like the idea of adding new elements to OMF, we could
just add an attribute to title in OMF:

<title>The full title, which may be very-very-very long<title>
<title role="short">A short title</title>

Sasha