Re: Detecting stylesheets and DTDs

Jody Goldberg wrote:

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 07:02:42PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Is the real root problem that we don't have a canonical upstream
stylesheet/dtd package, and that these packages therefore seem to vary
by distribution?

yes.

What would I have to do to get the stylesheets and DTDs? Is there a
single tarball I could just download?

Not that I know of.

While trying to package gnumeric 1.0 I used the gnome-doc package in
Debian testing and unstable.  With a cut and pasted build script
from Greg Leblanc things finally built for me.  They did not build
for Mandrake users or Red Hat 7.2 users.  A bit more kicking and
screaming and it began to build for them.  However, all of us were
getting different results !  The documentation for the style sheets
in the gnome-docu package were advocating things that were not
working on some platforms.  Eventually in desparation I attempted to
install a copy of 'the one true style sheet' in Gnumeric.  This
revealed that there were THREE copies of the damn thing in
gnome-docu.

There are 2 issues that need to be addressed
1) We need a canonical package the the distributions can include
which will ensure that all necessary style sheets are available and registered.

2) We need a build script that is not cut-n-pasted through
generations of packages.

If you have a red hat system, I found Tim Waugh's XML packages worked pretty well:
http://cyberelk.net/tim/docbook/index.html

Installing them should set you up with a good xml catalog and has a nice script "xmlto" that can be used to process docbook/xml documents to html, man, ps, pdf, etc.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/