Re: Detecting stylesheets and DTDs

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 04:54:14PM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > On 18 Jan 2002, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> >
> > > Once again: we are just asking for disaster - on greater majority of
> > > distro's,  DTD and stylesheet are not properly registered in xml

>   Right, if this is missing the enclosed script should do this for you.
> If it can write to the /etc/xml/ directory, it will set-up /etc/xml/catalog
> and /etc/xml/docbook based on the resources found on the system. Otherwise
> it will just create ~/xmlcatalog and ~/dbkxmlcatalog and doing
>     export XMLCATALOG=$HOME/xmlcatalog
> should allow to process DocBook documentations without requiring network
> accesses for the DTd or stylesheets

This does not seem sufficient.

* The script needs to be guaranteed to be available.

    - Can we include it in libxml ?
* It needs to be run as often as necessary by the doc build system
    - What if the user adds or removes a stylesheet ?  The doc build
      system should rerun the script any time a run fails due to
      missing style sheets then try again.

* It should definitely not be writting into /etc.  Can we use
  <prefix> from libxml or the current package ?

* A fall back to the users home is ok but the doc build system needs
  to be smart enough to look there by default without the user
  setting some magic env var.

Please lets solve this and learn the lessons of gnome-config and
GNOME_PATH.