Re: Problems with xmllint

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 05:26:39PM -0600, Kevin Breit wrote:
> Hey guys,
> 	I have a few bug reports about xmllint.  I don't know if this is the
> right list.  But since John Fleck is on here, he maybe able to help
> among others.

  Since I'm libxml2 author I may help too !
First the mandatory link-you-should-have-followed:
   http://xmlsoft.org/bugs.html

> Note: I don't know if the things I am reporting are problems with my XML
> or with xmllint.  Please let me know!
>
> I get a ton of:
> file:line: validity error: ID idname already defined
>    <tag id="idname">
> errors.  Yet, they're defined only once.

  I would need the source of the XML to check. Very surprizing, note that
if you main document include external entities (file) those may define IDs
and xmllint will rightly complain if you try to redefine it in the main
entity (file).

> I have yet another bug.  It seems kind of poor at managing tags that
> span multiple lines.  For example:
>
> <imagedata fileref="figures/vfolder-createrule-fig"
> format="PNG"
> srccedit="Aaron Weber">
>
> When it errors, it shows the last line:
>
> usage-mail-org.xml:1035: validity error: Value "png" for attribute
> format on imagedata is not among the enumerated set
>           srccredit="Aaron Weber">

  Nothing to do with multiple lines. The DTD defined that the attribute
format on the element imagedata allows only a predefined set of values.
And xmllint complains that PNG is not in that list. I have seen that already
because DocBook default DTD does not allow PNG (or didn't).

> If people could give me a hand with these errors or say they're a bug
> and get them fixed, that would be much appreciated!

  Doesn't looks like bugs, but validity errors in your document.

> PPS. One more bug, how about that!  xmllint --version prints the version
> at the top and then the usage list.  It should just show the version and
> poop you back to a command line.

  Agreed, but I tend to think it's minor :-)

Daniel