Re: CSS for Help Docs

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 07:39, Alex Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Calum Benson wrote:
>
> > Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> >
> > > I might be able to add something like this, (if it should be implemented
> > > in Yelp, might be some other desktop-wide setting)? If it is, it can be
> > > used in other programs that can be used to watch help, like
> > > Galeon,Nautilus,...
> >
> > One idea might be to handle this the way MacOS handles settings that are
> > shared between applications.  That is, there is a system default setting
> > that can be set somewhere (the control center, in our case), which all
> > the apps use by default.  But the user can also manually over-ride that
> > default in each app individually, via its Preferences dialog.
> >
> > If we do it this way, it doesn't matter so much if the capplet to change
> > the global default setting doesn't come along until later, provided the
> > appropriate GConf keys are in place to make it all happen.  In the
> > meantime, apps such as Yelp, Nautilus, Galeon etc. could still provide
> > their own GUIs for selecting either a user-defined stylesheet or the
> > 'default'; there just wouldn't be any way of changing which stylesheet
> > the 'default' referred to just yet.
>
> Normally a html page lists several alternative stylesheets. And each page
> can list different ones. I don't see how you in general can make this a
> global prefs, but i guess if we standardize a couple of names for them we
> can chose them if they exist.

Going off the top of my head, we might be able to have the conversion
from DocBook/man/info format to HTML check for a stylesheet setting, and
writing that into the HTML pages it produces.  I don't know how hard it
is for the XSL converter, but it shouldn't be tough for the man and info
ones, since they're just C code.  Maybe my logic is flawed...
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.