Re: clock applet docs need editing

Hi John,

The Clock applet is one of the applets that Sun will use, so the Sun
documentation team have done a version of this online manual. This manual is
available in xml, and is written to the GDSG. See attached html file - we didn't
create this html using the customization stylesheet layers so there are a few
oddities, but still you can see the intended result. The salient differences
from the original version are as follows:

- We have used a task-oriented approach, as even small applets benefit from a
task-oriented rather than a UI-oriented approach.

- We haven't included the information about setting time. Information like this
is interesting, but ultimately not about the functionality of the UI in
question. This type of information should ideally be captured elsewhere.

- We haven't included the Author, License sections in the body of the manual.
GFDL requirements and accreditations are all fully covered by the title page.

I have included all recent changes in the UI in the attached manual, reviewed
against the Clock applet that is part of the current 2.0 desktop. This Clock
applet manual will be one of the manuals that Sun will put back to the
community, and which Sun will ultimately translate. Of course, it's completely
up to the community to decide which version is best for the community GNOME
core.

Pat

> To: gnome-doc-list gnome org
> Subject: clock applet docs need editing
>
> Folks -
>
> I've updated the clock applet docs for GNOME2ness. Could someone take
> a pass at them for Style Guide conformance? All I've done is converted
> to xml, updated to reflect changes in the interface and taken new
> screenshots.
>
> They're in cvs at gnome-core/applets/gen_util/help/C/clock/
>
> I also stuck 'em up on the web at:
>
> http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/clock.xml
> http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/clock.html*
>
> Cheers,
>
> John
>
> * Please ignore stylesheet issues - I just used the standard Norm
> Walsh ones to generate some html so people could read it to provide
> editing feedback.

Title: Clock Applet Manual V2.0

Clock Applet Manual V2.0

Sun Microsystems

GNOME Documentation Project

Dan Mueth

GNOME Documentation Project

This manual describes version 1.0 of the Clock applet.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free DocumentationLicense (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link or in the file COPYING-DOCS distributed with this manual.

This manual is part of a collection of GNOME documents distributed under the GFDL. If you want to distribute this manual separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the license to the document, as described in section 6 of the license.

Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.

DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:

  1. DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND

  2. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Feedback

To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding the Clock applet or this manual, follow the directions in the GNOME Feedback Page.

Revision History
Revision Clock Applet Manual V2.0March 2002

Sun Microsystems <docs gnome org>

GNOME Documentation Project

Revision Clock Applet ManualApril 2000

Dan Mueth <d-mueth uchicago edu>

GNOME Documentation Project

Table of Contents

Introduction
Usage
Settings

Introduction

Figure 1. Clock Applet

Screenshot of the Clock applet.

The Clock applet displays the time and the date in a panel.

To add the Clock applet to a panel, right-click on the panel to open the panel menu, then choose Add to panel->Utility->Clock.

The applet popup menu for the Clock applet contains the standard applet menu items plus the following additional menu items:

  • Copy time

  • Copy date

You can use these menu items to insert the time or date into an application, such as a text editor.

Usage

The Clock applet takes the time from the system clock.

To insert the time or date from the Clock applet into an application perform the following steps:

  1. Right-click on the Clock applet to open the applet popup menu.

  2. Choose one of the following menu items from the applet popup menu:

    • Copy time

    • Copy date

  3. Point to the location in your application where you want to insert the item.

  4. Middle-click to insert the item.

Settings

To modify the properties of the Clock, right-click on the Clock applet, then choose Properties from the applet popup menu.

Time Format

Select 12 hour to display time in the a.m./p.m. format, or select 24 hour to display time in the 00.00 to 24.00 format.

Default: 12 hour format

Show date in applet

Select this option to display the date in the applet.

Default: selected.

Show date in tooltip

Select this option to display the date in the tooltip.

Default: unselected.

Use GMT

Select this option to display Greenwich Mean Time in the applet.

Default: unselected.

UNIX time

Select this option to display the time in seconds elapsed since January 1, 1970. Developers are the primary users of UNIX time.

Default: unselected.

Internet time

Select this option to display Internet time in the applet. Internet time is based on Biel Mean Time (BMT) as a universal reference, and is the same all over the world. Internet time enables Internet users to synchronize to a common time.

Default: unselected.