Re: docbook crossrefs

Mathieu-

We already have a system in place for doing most of the things you are
wanting for the user docs.  Jonathan Blandford has written a nice URI
for help called ghelp which makes referencing docs fairly painless in a
GNOME environment.  Yelp is a plain and small view which should work
well for any types of documentation.  The GDP has implemented a basic
infrastructure for doing this, but it is no where near finished.

The way I am recommending to cross reference docs using the ulink tag
and the ghelp URI.  This will only work for documents installed by
scrollkeeper, but should be good enough for the GNOME user docs.  If the
developer docs were registered with scrollkeeper then you could also use
the ghelp URI.  e.g.
<ulink href="ghelp://gedit">gedit manual</ulink>
makes a link to the gedit manual.  Also
<ulink href="ghelp://gedit?intro">introduction to gedit</ulink>
makes a link to the gedit manual at the intro id.

You can use Yelp to display the developer documentation in GNOME.  Once
the docs are registered with scrollkeeper Yelp automatically includes
them into its categories and you can then view them.  Yelp might not
display the developer documentation in the nicest form, but we can work
on that through the stylesheets.

Displaying dia files might be a bit harder to do.  DocBook 4.2 supports
SVG files and hopefully the user docs will migrate to DocBook 4.2 by
GNOME 2.4.  However, this does not mean you could start experimenting
with it.  My own knowledge is rather limited in this area though.

Hopefully I have answered your questions about what type of tools and
mechanisma are in place to view and reference docs in GNOME 2.

Eric Baudais