Re: [Scrollkeeper-devel] Categories for Gnome Applications

On 24 Aug 2002, Andrew Sobala wrote:

[just a few excerpts from previous posts along the way]

> > Rather noone really knows where they should put there documents. We have
> > a GNOME/Applications/* with several categories in. Should stuff be
> > placed there or should it be places somewhere else?
>
> I would expect only "very-gnome" items to be under GNOME. That's the
> panel, nautilus, capplets, applets.
>
> The end user may not care that gedit is developed by the gnome
> project - it's a text editor, an app, and should be under
> Applications in the same place as kedit, emacs, kate and so on. Same
> job, same place.

I think this is a good point.  At present the non-gnome category in
yelp (on my system, anyway, sans KDE) is pretty much empty apart from
the man and info sections.  That's what made me think my app (which is
designed to play nicely with gnome) should go under Gnome.  But in the
long view it probably should not, and the gnome section should be
restricted to programs which are, as you say, "very-gnome".  This
would argue for moving not only gedit but also gdict, the system
monitor (procman), and other apps that are not part of the "gnome
apparatus" as such and could be used on any system that has the gnome
libs installed.

While we're at it, the gnome desktop configuration stuff should not be
under "Applications" in the gnome menus, but under "Settings".

Allin Cottrell.