Re: help URI schemes

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:57:07PM -0400, Alexander Kirillov wrote:

> > > I think we have a need for a special help URI scheme.  I would also like
> > > to get away from a proliferation of help schemes and come up with a single
> > > (good) help:// scheme which we all share.  This would make things simpler
> > > in the long term.  We do have to handle a few interesting problems though.
> > > eg: Does "help://cdplayer" give you the GNOME cd player application or the
> > > KDE cd player application, or neither?  How do you handle multiple
> > > documents with the same URI (eg. different versions, languages, formats,
> > > etc. of a given document)? How do you handle targets for both HTML and XML
> > > documents at the same time?
>
> The obvious idea would be for every application, add to OMF one more
> field, "identifier" and try to keep it unique. For application
> manuals, it should probably be the same as binary name: for Nautilus,
> "id" should be "nautilus". Thus, GNOME cd player will have identifier
> "gtcd" while for KDE player, it is "kscd". This almost guarantees
> uniqueness. As for different formats/versions/languages - the help
> browser must have some built in (probably configurable) preferences:
> e.g., use the language of "locale", latest version, etc.

What about program-name-1.1.1 so both name and version are extractable
directly?

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

Asked how small software companies could compete on products that Microsoft
wants to fold into Windows, [Microsoft COO Bob] Herbold told Bloomberg News
they could either fight a losing battle, sell out to Microsoft or a larger
company or 'not go into business to begin with.'
	--Newsweek, March 1998