Re: [Scrollkeeper-devel] Re: help URI schemes

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, David Merrill wrote:

> > The obvious idea would be for every application, add to OMF one more
> > field, "identifier" and try to keep it unique. For application
> > manuals, it should probably be the same as binary name: for Nautilus,
> > "id" should be "nautilus". Thus, GNOME cd player will have identifier
> > "gtcd" while for KDE player, it is "kscd". This almost guarantees
> > uniqueness. As for different formats/versions/languages - the help
> > browser must have some built in (probably configurable) preferences:
> > e.g., use the language of "locale", latest version, etc.
>
> What about program-name-1.1.1 so both name and version are extractable
> directly?

One of the primary needs for the URI is so that documents can cross
reference each other.  If the docs for program-a-1.0 references the docs
for program-b-1.0 and the user upgrades to program-b-1.1 without updating
program-a, then the documentation will break.  So, having a very generic
URI is more useful than a specific URI.  Similarly, I don't think we want
to use a URN for this purpose, as I believe a URN is the limit of complete
specificity including locale, format, etc. except for physical location of
the file.

I do like the idea of URN's, but I haven't figured out how they can fit
into ScrollKeeper.  They may be valuable when ScrollKeeper becomes
network-enabled and has to locate remote documents.

Dan