Where are default config values specified ?

In the gnome-terminal documentation, the
"Configurable options" chapter should say how to change the
*default* values of options such as the number of lines in the
scroll history.

The documentation only says how to change options of an already
existing terminal; such changes are not persistant and do not
affect
subsequently created terminals (they affect cloned terminals run
by the same process, but not new terminals created in
a subsequent session).

Are there X resources (as with xterm) to control the defaults?
Is there a global file somewhere?
Whatever the mechanism is, it should be explicitly documented!

-Jim Avera

=====