Re: updating templates

Hi All,

<snip attribute=big>

> Now to the things I haven't done yet and for which I need
> your help:
>
>      1. Is everyone happy with the way author names and legal info is
>         presented (please note: copyright info will be probably put in a
> separate html file linked to from the word COpyright, as it was
> before - this is a stylesheet issue)? In particular, with
>         merging  Authors and License
>         into one section? And a related thing: do we really need all
>         this junk about how to get GPL by writing to FSF? Wouldn't it
>         be sufficient to give a link to ghelp:gpl and for those who
>         can not read it, say that it is also included in LICENSE file
>         in the package?
>         Pat Costello and other SUN people argued for removing this
>         section altogether; I'd rather leave it. What do other people
>         think?

</snip>

Some time ago, the Sun documentation team put forward a suggestion for a
separate area for all the boilerplate type information, as Sasha says in his
mail snip. As well as improving information accessibility for the user, this
approach - essentially a title page - conforms to the GFDL requirements.
However, there was an issue about liability and warranty that we needed to clear
up. At the moment, all parties who contribute to GNOME documentation are exposed
to legal action, due to the absence of such clauses. This is a potentially
serious issue.

Legal representatives from Sun have just completed discussions with Richard
Stallman and with the Free Software Foundation to resolve the license issue.
Whereas the FSF recognises the need for the liability and warranty clauses, they
do not want to amend the GFDL. They suggest that the liability and warranty
clauses accompany each piece of documentation. This requirement creates another
benefit for having a title page, because it gives us a suitable place where we
can put these essential legal clauses. Another benefit of the title page
approach is that all of the purely technical information remaining in the manual
is easier for translators to process.

A sample of a proposed title page is attached. The legal text for the liability
and warranty sections was written by a member of the Sun legal team. The concept
of the title page is that a user can open the title page from a Title Page link
that appears at the bottom of the manual TOC.

Sun has already reworked a number of applet manuals as per the GNOME Style
Guide, and we are keen to put our work back into the community, plus
translations in nine languages. Now that the license question appears to be
close to resolution, Sun is in a position to start releasing that documentation.
If the Sun approach to the title page is workable for community usage, then the
Sun documentation will be generally usable.

Pat

Character Picker Applet Manual Title Page

Copyrights

Copyright 2001: Sun Microsystems
Copyright 2000: Dan Mueth

Legal Notice

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link.

Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.

Version Information

Manual Version 2.0.

Product Version 1.0.

Developers

Version

Developer

Contact Information

1.0

Alexander Muñiz

munizao xprt net

Documentation Authors

Version

Author

Contact Information

2.0

Sun Microsystems

gnome_docs sun com

1.0

Dan Mueth

d-mueth uchicago edu

Limitation of Liability

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL YOU, THE INITIAL WRITER, ANY OTHER CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF DOCUMENTATION, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Disclaimer of Warranty

DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED UNDER THIS LICENSE ON AN "AS IS'' BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENTATION IS FREE OF DEFECTS, MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENTATION IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENTATION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER OR ANY OTHER CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENTATION IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER.

<<< Previous Home Next >>>