Re: doc-i18n-tool

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:

> On 10Oct2001 12:46PM (-0700), Darin Adler wrote:
> > on 10/10/01 11:38 AM, Jonathan Blandford at jrb redhat com wrote:
> >
> > > Should we try to put this in intl-tools?  It's Darin's call of course,
> > > but I think that if it manages to increase the number of translated docs
> > > then it's a good thing.  As a non-translator, I'd appreciate it if those
> > > actually doing the translating could provide feedback.
> >
> > Adding this to intltool would make sense to me in theory. It does fit with
> > the general purpose of intltool. There are a few practical matters to
> > consider:
> >
> >     - I'm only 1 of the 3 maintainers of intltool, so it's not completely my
> > call!
> >     - the current intltool has nothing compiled in it. It's all just scripts
> > and m4 macros that get installed.
> >     - the current intltool doesn't have dependencies on libxml or even glib.
> >     - the tools in intltool come with simple ways to use them in project
> > makefiles -- we'd want to come up with that for this too -- in the case of
> > the other tools, we used them in some projects to get a sense with how they
> > fit into the build process before we packaged them
> >
> > I'd be happy to work with you to get this into intltool, if we have
> > consensus that makes sense.
> >

> I haven't heard anything about doc-i18n-tool so I don't know if it
> makes sense or not. What does it do? Where can I look at the source?

It was posted to the list at the start of this script:
 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2001-October/msg00030.html

> I've heard intltool is being used to localize some parts of the GNOME
> web site (scary thought there) so I am curious how doc-i18n-tool is
> different from that approach.

This is slightly different in that instead of translating a doc in
place, it puts all the text of a doc in a pot file, and then
reconstructs the docs out of the translation.

-Jonathan