Re: doc-i18n-tool

Hi All,
Please see my comments :

>> [ seems it's time I subscribe to gnome-i18n, done, Daniel ]

>> > DocBook SGML -> .pot
>> > DocBook SGML + .pot -> Translated DocBook SGML
>> >
>> > The actual format/structure of the document doesn't change.

OK. Perhaps I should explain my specific concern a bit more, if only for
my own peace of mind....

We have a small number of SGML translated help files which were used
to check multi-byte character rendering in Nautilus packaged with
Gnome 1.4. Nautilus for Gnome 2.0 is to use DocBook XML formatted
help files for rendering as opposed to DocBook SGML.
The change introduces a small possibility of degradation of multi-byte
character support in Nautilus. I understand that with Pango and the libxml2
hack already mentioned any degradation is unlikely but I don't know how
extensively it has been tested (any info. on this greatly appreciated).
So, the ability to convert from DocBook SGML to DocBook XML on existing files would be useful from the point of view of testing. At this point,I have
no idea what sort of programming undertaking this entails.

The other point is that while the ability to render both the SGML and XML
correctly is desirable, the ability to convert to DocBook XML can only facilitate doc translation because translating SGML docs can be awkward
(particularly if you are not an EMACs or Adept user). As decent freeware
XML editors become available, I'd rather give translators XML if possible.

Regards,
Damien